Vassily Rudomino, Senior Partner
Specialization: Competition/Antitrust, Capital & Equity Markets, Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution, Restructuring and Insolvency, Investments
Telephone: +7 495 234 96 92
Fax: +7 495 956 37 18
Vassily Rudomino is a co-founder of ALRUD Law Firm, Head of the firm’s Competition/Antitrust and Dispute Resolution practice areas.
He is an expert with profound experience in all aspects of the Russian competition legislation including in merger control clearance of complex transactions and cartel investigations. Vassily represents interests of clients in the Federal Antimonopoly Service and its territorial divisions, during inspections as well as in antimonopoly disputes in courts. He is recognized as the foremost legal practitioner in the field of dispute resolution and business restructuring and insolvency. Vassily advises clients across a range of industries including healthcare, life science and chemicals, banking and finance, consumer goods and retail, technology, media and telecoms.
Vassily Rudomino has significant experience assisting clients in Russian corporate crime matters, including matters relating to bribery and corruption. He has also supported clients in preventative compliance work in these areas (often working together with U.S. and European counsel in projects involving joint consideration of Russian law, the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and relevant EU anti-corruption laws).
Vassily Rudomino graduated from the Moscow State University of International Relations, International Commercial Law Department of the International Law Faculty. He is an advocate, member of the Commission on Ethics and Standards of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers of the Russian Federation, member of the Council of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers of the Russian Federation in 2011-2015.
He is a member of the International Bar Association (IBA), member of the IBA Legal Practice Division Council in 2014-2016, the Board Member of the Russian Arbitration Association, member of the American Bar Association.
The initiator of the creation, Chairman of the Board of Association "Supporting competition in the CIS". One of the founders and member of The Competition Experts Association. As part of these organizations, Vassily Rudomino takes active participation in preparation of the latest amendments to the Competition Law.
Vassily Rudomino participates in professional conferences and workshops in Russia and abroad. He is the author of articles on topical issues in corporate/M&A law, antitrust regulation and investing which are published by the leading Russian and foreign media.
On July 16, 2015 Vassily Rudomino was awarded the medal «For Merit to the Fatherland» II class for his merit in the formation of effective practice of the competition law enforcement and active participation in the antitrust lawmaking.
He is a member of the Board of Trustees of All-Russia State Library of Foreign Literature named after M. Rudomino.
Vassily Rudomino is fluent in Russian and English.
Recent projects inckude:
Dispute Resolution Practice:
- Advised NYK Line and Maersk Line regarding the case of FAS Russia on violation of antimonopoly legislation on the market of international sea container shipping and advised Client.
- Advised Booking.Com with regard to the requests of FAS Russia in respect of the business activities of the Client on the online-platform market.
- Represented Vimpelcom in the investigation of the alleged collusive behavior on iphone market.
- Represented a world leading biopharmaceutical company Shire plc with regard to acquisition of 100% of shares of Baxalta GmbH, largest producer of the pharmaceuticals for rare diseases.
- Represented interests of Diebold, a global producer of the ATMs, in FAS Russia with regard to acquisition of 100% of shares of Wincor-Nixdorf AG world's largest producer ATMs, as well as IT solutions and services to retail banks and the retail industry.
- Represented in FAS Russia interests of Dell, a multinational computer technology company, regarding merger control clearance in Russia of the transaction on acquisition of EMC Corporation. The transaction was called as the largest technology acquisition ever.
- Advised the major American-Uzbek vehicle manufacturer in the series of interrelated disputes against a bad-faith counterparty, connected with recovery of money under the falsified contract, including at the level of Supreme Court of the RF.
- Advised the major company of “Rosatom” State Corporation in the dispute on recovery of indebtedness exceeding Rub 400 million for the supplies of poor quality goods. Managed to arrange the appointment of the repeated judicial expertise at the court of appeal instance and prove poor quality of the hi-tech products.
- Represented one of the largest foreign logistics companies in a dispute with construction company for unjust enrichment recovery.
- Advised one of the major banks in Kazakhstan on recovery of damages caused by fraud actions with the bank’s assets committed by its shareholders. Advised on court proceedings in the London High Court and LCIA.
- Successfully represented Inmarko at the courts of all three instances in the dispute with FAS Russia territorial office challenging FAS acknowledgement of our client as coordinating the distributors’ economic activity, and achieved canceling the FAS order.
- Advised and represented one of the well-known and leading Russian producer of longitudinal welded pipes in ICC dispute against largest German heavy plate producer on collection of damages for more than 150 mln Euro.
- Represented The International Communications Company (one of the biggest communication operators in Russia), owner of the fiber optic links, in the ICAC in the dispute with the UK major telecommunication company.
- Assisted Investors Service in protection of Moody’s rights on databases and rating reports of the Client in the Internet at the stage of the pre-court proceedings.
Rankings and Awards
- Chambers Global, 2017 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Corporate/M&A. Vassily "provides quality, clear advice within the timeline requested".
- Best Lawyers in Russia, 2017 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Competition/Antitrust Law, Arbitration and Mediation, Bankruptcy and Restructuring, Investment, Litigation, Corporate law and M&A.
- Chambers Global, 2016 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Corporate/M&A. "Vassily is always quick to respond with very useful answers, and we have found him to be very good overall".
- Chambers Europe, 2016 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Competition/Antitrust and Corporate/M&A. "Everyone knows him as a strong anti-monopoly lawyer."
- Best Lawyers, 2016 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Competition/Antitrust Law, Arbitration and Mediation, Bankruptcy and Restructuring, Investment, Litigation, Corporate law and M&A.
- Legal 500 EMEA, 2016 marks Competition practice area, led by Vassily Rudomino in a first tier, notes that Vassily Rudomino is "a senior statesman in the field", and his team has "excellent technical knowledge combined with a practical approach".
- Chambers Global, 2015 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Corporate/M&A.
- Chambers Europe, 2015 recommends Vassily Rudomino for Competition/Antitrust and Corporate/M&A. Vassily Rudomino is "widely recognised as an experienced antitrust practitioner". Clients appreciate his hands-on assistance in strategic matters: "He effectively deals with high-pressure situations and is also really knowledgeable and interested in antitrust".