ALRUD team is experienced in advising high net worth clients on various issues related to structuring and protecting family and business assets and settling family relations. In solving these issues we rely on international experience, having the Russian legislation issues as our priority. In order to provide our clients with the widest range of services we maintain relations with law firms, investment advisors, banks and family offices from all over the world.
Maxim Alekseyev, Senior Partner, recommended in Private Client by Who’s Who Legal 2013.
The specialists of the practice advise private clients on issues such as:
- Structuring of ownership and management of personal wealth, including across different jurisdictions;
- Family and inheritance law, including inheriting business, transferring assets across generations, asset management after retirement of the owner, joint property of spouses, etc.;
- Wealth planning and administration (residential and commercial real estate, objects of art, other real and personal property);
- Taxation, including settlement of tax disputes, currency control legislation;
- Risk management related to family and business assets;
- Advising international administrators, banks, family offices and their clients on the issues of Russian legislation, and modernization of existing structures;
- Immigration legislation issues.
Recent experience includes advising:
- A client - a citizen and a resident of the Russian Federation with respect to matters arising during the receiving of the inheritance property, located in the UK.
- Concerning the documents representing the right for residence in different EU states. The analysis was done with respect to the necessity for submitting notifications to the Russian migration service regarding the second citizenship or the right of permanent residence in the foreign state.
- Private client, Russian citizen on acquisition of the villa in Greece situated in conservation area, provided full support of the deal. The advising was fulfilled jointly with Greek lawyers.
- Russian businessman on establishing a permanent source of income subject to the applicable requirements of the currency control legislation of the Russian Federation, provide legal support to the client’s investment projects on an ongoing basis.
- Private client on the practicable methods of assets’ ownership subject to the requirements of the Russian currency control legislation, ensuring assets protection and solving issues regarding continuity of succession.
- Foreign citizen, a tax resident of the Russian Federation, on the restructuring of the assets owned by him, providing the base for determination of individual income tax.
- On development of particular recommendations for providing additional protection for existed trust deed. Recommendations included trust transfer to another jurisdiction and conversion from revocable to irrevocable. The project was executed jointly with lawyers from Cyprus and Jersey.
- Wealthy Russian businessman in acquisition of a motor yacht in Italy.
- On declaring in a judicial proceeding the rights of the heir, the citizen and the resident of the United States, to the inheritance property situated in the Russian Federation. Registered the ownership of the inheritance property.
- A client on possible tax, currency risks and consequences of the transfer of assets in direct holding because of the winding-up of a foreign structure. Prepared recommendations regarding restructuring of the holding and possible means to reduce risks taking into account the necessity of disposition of cash assets kept on accounts abroad.
- A Russian citizen on a will. Prepared comments to the will executed by Swiss law regarding the law applicable to the succession, the formal requirements of making a will, and the contents of the will.
- A foreign bank on the influence of the latest changes in the Russian tax legislation regarding controlled Russian companies as well as the entry-into-force new requirements of the exchange control, on the activity of the bank, connected with Russian tax and exchange residents.
- A Russian tax resident carrying out the management of a foreign trade holding company. Analyzed the risks of acceptance of the holding managed from the Russian Federation by the tax resident as well as personal risks of an individual carrying out the actual management from the Russian Federation. Assessed the applicability of the Federal Law "On the voluntary declaration of assets by individuals and accounts (deposits) at banks and on amendments to certain legislative acts of the Russian Federation"; developed an action plan and worked out personal holding mechanism for individuals.
- A major real estate development holding company during the restructuring connected with the adoption of the law on "deoffshorization". Prepared a comprehensive conclusion, assessed possible tax risks, implications and additional obligations of shareholders. In addition to this, the conclusion included the analysis of the activity of the holding as well as recommendations on restructuring and reduction of tax risks.
- Private client in sale of a private jet, securing the client’s interests and fulfilling the client’s requests.
- On drafting a Memorandum on the restructuring of assets ownership (investment portfolio), dissolution of the Trust and transfer of assets from the nominee to the ultimate beneficial owner considering the provisions of the Law on voluntary declaration of assets and bank accounts, as well as recent changes in Russian Tax Code.
- Wealthy Russian businessman in implementation and management of an investment project (hotel in Turkey).
- A client regarding the necessity of including the inheritance matters of bank accounts, opened outside the Russian Federation, into the will.
- Russian high net worth businessman in a project regarding contemplated purchase of a yacht; advised on ownership structure options, provided lawyers and administrators with necessary information and documents.
- A foreign bank in relation to the latest changes in tax legislation regarding controlled foreign companies, currency regulation and control. Prepared the array of documents, which may be requested by the bank to confirm the Russian tax compliance by clients - foreign exchange and tax residents of the Russian Federation.
- Foreign citizen (Russian tax resident) on feasibility of receiving a payment from a foreign based Trust and on submitting documents confirming such income to the Russian tax authorities.
- On the terms and conditions of divorce between Russian citizen and his wife without Russian citizenship, distribution of the common estate, inheritance issues. In particular the consultation included the following issues: applicable legislation, determination of the state, which agencies has the rights to examine the case, the terms of divorse/distribution of the common estate/inheritance issues in accordance with the Russian legislation, marriage contract validity issues, marriage contract impact on inter parties property relations.